Monday, December 22, 2008

Chapter 13: From Flirt to Convert

The day of my baptism seemed to be the worst day of all for me and John. I was going to tell him that night that we needed to break up if things weren't different. I felt depressed because he seemed depressed. I told my best girlfriend, Julie, and she assured me that things would be better that night.

John's family sat in the front row in the chapel with me and John. A lot of my friends showed up and I never knew so many people cared for me. There were over a hundred people there from what my friends told me. I was too nervous to look. I almost felt like I was getting married.

I was wearing a white dress and John wore white pants and a white shirt. He looked as nervous as I did. He looked at me and I looked at him. He was my best friend. I knew I cared and loved him and I knew he loved me more than he had shown these last couple of weeks.


Merilee, the friend that gave me my first Book of Mormon played the piano. My friend Nicki opened with prayer. Julie gave a talk. My friend Lynette sang, "Where Is Heaven?"

I remember walking back to the baptismal font and seeing John on the other side. No one could see us yet. He was bouncing with excitement and had a huge smile on his face. We walked down the stairs into the water. I can't remember if the water was warm or cold or how long it took. I remember feeling amazing when I came up out of the water. It was done. My sins had been washed away.

I was alone in the dressing room as I dried off and got dressed into a Sunday dress. I believe John took a little longer. I can't remember who gave the other talk, because I can't imagine it being someone other than Merilee. John's five year old sister, Shaury, sang "I Am A Child of God" and sang it like a little angel. His three sisters were all very cute but would be a little shy whenever I came over.

John's father used his priesthood to bless me with the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I was now a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I made a covenant with the Lord that I will try to be like him. I was perfect for about five minutes.

John's reason for being so cold to me beforehand was he wanted to make sure I wasn't getting baptized for him. That really should have been an obvious answer, so one would think. Only six weeks of school left and we would graduate.


.....to be continued.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm telling you, you ought to develop this into an lds romance novel. It's all there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. convert currency

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to share, so please share your thoughts!